Phase Aligning the Future

We’d like to start off by acknowledging the hard work that has been put in over the past few months as we have solidified aims and domains. These specific processes having been a guiding light for both Sonar Labs and Orcanauts over the past months. Including in the former and revised Art-naut proposal for Q3.

This framework has been essential in our focus to move towards more phase aligned approach between Sonar Labs and Orcanauts community. Looking forward, with this in mind, towards Q3 projects and milestones, it has become apparent that Sonar Labs isn’t interested in funding the SoE/Mutual Value proposal at this time. Since this current proposal isn’t valuable to Sonar Labs currently, Art-naut can only conclude that this proposal will not pass. Clearly this is not helpful for Sonar Labs or the community if Art-naut isn’t funded for Q3. As a pre-requisite for becoming more phase aligned we have removed the request in the revised proposal for the SoE/MV Proposal for further funding at this time.

Although this currently falls out of the scope of Q3 funding, Orcanauts don’t believe the knowledge gained from SoE/MV proposal isn’t important in Q3. For this reason we have included funding for the finishing the Onboarding Voyage Chapter 1 and added Chapter 2. Art-naut feels that Chapter 2 is critical for Orcanauts to prepare for the eventual open beta. Chapter 2 allows Orcanauts to become educators in the space especially in regards to Pods. Without the ability for Orcanauts to become educators we are, in my eyes, literally bound by Sonar Labs to fail. These words are not hyperbole. They are an acknowledgment of the very real fact that without the experience and a project that requires Orcanauts to gain the necessary knowledge to educate members of the community, our chances of success are highly doubtful. Orcanauts have been calling this out for quite sometime with no solutions from Sonar Labs and Orcanauts have now presented two.

Chapter 2 provides an alternative path for the Orcanauts and Sonar Labs to work together and gather information around Pods and develop into a growing community of people who are well educated in governance structures and pod frameworks. As educators we can then proceed to guide and develop our community to better deploy Pods in the most effective and efficient structures. In essence, the development of a pedagogy for Pods is imperative in our eyes. By scaffolding an educational and modular curriculum that can be updated as needed, Chapter 2 apportions the necessary requirements for all of the Orcanauts in their pods to share in the knowledge gained in a GENSET (Good Enough for Now, Safe Enough to Try) method. If Sonar Labs doesn’t see the importance of this then we are at an impasse.

Lastly, although Sonar Labs has provided a funded and commission domain with Project Cannoli. There are many considerations and dependencies to collaborate on before the scope of the work can even be determined. It is for these many dependencies involving Sonar Labs and specifically Orcanauts that Art-naut doesn’t feel comfortable including Project Cannoli in this current proposal. Once these blockages are worked out then we would be excited to submit a request at that time. We feel this would provide a precedent, not to just take funds because they are a commissioned domain, and be better for the Orca community as a whole.

We hope that this covers all the necessary adjustments within the aims and domains, as well as fiscally, to move forward with phase alignment with Sonar Labs, Art-naut, and the Orca community as a whole in funding Q3.

4 Likes

Hey Post! Wall of text! Oi! I am going to summarize, and intersperse questions which I am hoping will help me and others better understand everything you’ve said.

1. You start with gratitude for the process in setting up a clear governance structure, and delineation of responsibilities between SL & ONs.

2. SOE is removed from the Art-naut funding request, as SL is not interested in supporting it.

3. ONs are very aware of needing more direct experience with Pods, and OV Ch 2 espeically can provide that. (How?)

4. OV Ch 2 will help in the deverlopment of a “pedagogy for Pods.” (How?)

5. There are too many known unknowns for Art-naut to reasonably make a proposal for Project Cannoli at this time, so Art-naut is declining to do so.

Please let me know if I got any of these succinct summaries wrong. Elaborating on the specfics of the “How’s,” would be useful for me, so I am guessing at least some others as well.

Thank you!
:pray:t5::sparkling_heart::sparkles:

6 Likes

@PostArchitekt I appreciate you creating a post (no pun intended) to address these points.

@aia I appreciate this summary! Very helpful.

I’d just like to add a +1 to Aia’s point here in asking “how” with respect to #3 and #4.

1 Like

Apologies for the long post below! Just want to address this properly.

I hear you and I know ON have been calling out the need for gaining experience with onboarding for a while. I’m sorry if it felt like that was not heard.

A few things I think are important to highlight (or at least articulate for organizational memory purposes):

1. Creating the best experience for organizations onboarding to pods is the top priority
  2. Part of crafting that experience is figuring out where ON and SL fit into the onboarding journey
  3. Right now, SL has taken on the onboarding domain ‒ which allows SL to quickly gain product feedback and understand how pods are being used ‒ gets us closer to PMF
  4. As we get closer to open beta, it feels more important to discuss where ON fit into the onboarding journey (to ensure ON has the knowledge and resources required to take on any responsibilities)

On point #4, I think part of the reason this discussion has been challenging is that it is not yet clear what the role of ON will be in onboarding when we hit open beta. This is what I hope we find clarity on over the next week or so.

• Will it be educating people coming into the community (as you suggest)? What would that look like?
  • What does the long-term roadmap look like for ON when it comes to onboarding?

Timeline
In the roadmap, I want to call out this section. The process of shifting some of these domains will take time.

To be clear: I am not saying the points you make are premature ‒ I think this is the perfect time to discuss this. But I do want to make sure we’re on the same page when it comes to the time horizon and ON slowly taking on responsibilities here (acknowledging that open beta is still pre-PMF).

Next Steps
I want to re-iterate my commitment to ON to steward discussions within SL to gain clarity on how SL’s current ownership of the onboarding domain might change (as ON slowly takes on more responsibility here). Specifically, I hope to get clarity on:

1. Roles and responsibilities of ON with respect to open beta
  2. Roles and responsibilities of SL with respect to open beta

From there, we can collaborate to discuss the experience and resources required for ON to fulfill those roles and responsibilities.

1 Like

Onboarding and Education

TLDR;

• Develop the Educational program for Pods
  • Onboarding
    • Chapter 1 and 2 for Onboarding Voyage story in Discord
      • Use Expandable Modulates
  • Educational
    • Tutorials (Videos and Posts)
      • Less story elements considerations required

Currently what I see is educating people coming into the Discord with Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 using the Modulates, designed to be easily expandable, like these for Chapter 1 in the ClickUp. The process after that would involve more direct instructional tutorials on Pods in Q4 as we move towards open beta. These would involve less consideration of the story elements but maybe an ability to expand the Onboarding Voyage in the Discord further into more Modulates.

Roadmap

TLDR;

• Education domain doesn’t belong to a specific Pod nor group of Pods
    • Education falls directly on the Orcanauts
    • ON role is earned by knowledge shared and contributions as a Cadet
  • ONs are the educational arms of the community
    • It is the individual’s duty and responsibility to educate correctly with the knowledge gained from the community around the Protocol and Pods
    • When developing educational materials it is highly recommended, not required, for ONs to resource and check the materials for feedback
      • Not being a requirement develops autonomy for ONs and prevents blocks for content releases

In regards to a long-term roadmap, I can only share what I see but is a much larger ON discussion. Acknowledging, we currently haven’t had this discussion. My current thoughts, excluding Project Cannoli, are that we, as the ON and Cadets, are the educators for Pods. Each current Pod (Art-naut, Gov-naut, Nav-naut) are the representatives to share the knowledge we have to the outside. Acknowledging the roles we have the privilege of being in, ON and Cadets must be able to step into the role of educator for onboarding to the community and eventually Pods. I don’t feel education domain falls to a specific Pod. It is the responsibility for the Orca community to share structures and the information flow as it acquired. This does NOT mean that any one person as a Cadet can be an immediate expert and share incorrect understanding of Pods. What I’m suggesting is that the label of Orcanuat implies enough knowledge and contribution has been made that you can easily be allowed to share and educate others. Obviously it is recommended that you that you look for and support other Pods with their educational experiences. So that we can all experience the information flow in both directions to gain the experience required for expertise of Pods.

As far as roles and responsibilities of SL within this roadmap, I believe this is a much larger conversation within the Orca community that relies on the many dependencies and conversations around Project Cannoli. (Future reference link here)

2 Likes

Just want to clarify how we think of “onboarding”, because there might be some confusion and overlap. There are different personas for onboarding:

• Orgs implementing pods (clients/partners)
  • people learning to use pods (clients/users)
  • potential ON contributors

…and these personas have different requirements. Current Navnaut work has focused on potential ON contributors. This groundwork can grow to cover the other personas

2 Likes