With OIP 0, the Orcanauts for the first time have funds (15 ETH), and need to decide what to do with these funds. This proposal details several actions to support & document decision-making for these funds during X1 from a perspective of “sense & respond”, in order to learn and improve for X2 and beyond.
Objections are welcome, that’s how we make proposals better!
Please share objections with radical levels of candour by responding to this post ahead of the Gov-naut weekly sync on Thursday March 24th. That includes objecting to the time limit, if you believe more time should be given to consider objections.
If you don’t have objections, please click the below to indicate your consent.
My hope is to hold a brief sync conversation for those interested in participating in this initiative either immediately following the gov-naut sync on March 24th, or at another mutually convenient time soon thereafter. To be coordinated in discord.
When thinking of Treasury Management most broadly, it can be divided into 4 key questions:
- How do funds come in?
- How do we allocate/distribute incoming funds across pods, treasury & contributors?
- How do we manage assets held in the treasury? (ie hold, invest, etc)
- How do we compensate contributors?
For the specific situation we find ourselves in during X1, question #1 above does not require any action for X1, and #2 and #3 can be supported with minimal actions. For more background, see the temperature check post here:
Given the above, I propose to take the following actions with support from other members of gov-naut, to support & document actions & decision-making during X1 that is relevant to the above 4 questions:
- Briefly interview Appt_Pupil now & near the end of X1, regarding his experience and thought process with the X1 Fund Distribution Proposal and execution
- Create & disseminate a brief anonymous survey about the X1 Fund Distribution process, both now & near the end of X1
- Summarize findings and present them for discussion at the end of X1 / start of X2, for consideration for future allocation decisions
- Create a “1-pager” document with a series of simple prompts that support meaningful discussions on compensation in each pod. Examples:
- How do we determine pricing for different kinds of work in our pod?
- What are we trying to incentivize with compensation in our pod?
- Is compensation role-based or employment-based? (ie bounties, salaries, somewhere in between)
- Is compensation contingent or guaranteed? (no matter what or based on something)
- Offer to each pod to facilitate a discussion on compensation using the above 1-pager as a guide, live and/or async here in discourse (abstaining from opining unless explicitly asked)
- Documenting compensation processes and perspectives in each pod during X1, in order to near the end of X1:
- briefly summarize them, and
- propose minimum viable structure MVS and/or “recommended best practices” for X2.
- Propose to gov-naut the compensation for the above actions, according to the conclusions of the gov-naut X1 compensation process.
Given that this proposal directly supports compensation, I propose (as previously stated) that the corresponding compensation be determined “a posteriori” the gov-naut compensation process, in context with the other projects and available funds.