Looking at Lore

I want to try contributing to this corner of the forum more.

Started to collect some resources on lore and will slowly start adding to this as I process them. Feel free to add, remix, reply, build on any of this.

What is Lore?

Lore is history, myth, knowledge on a smaller scale. It permeates through a community, being regulated and disseminated by a centralized (but perhaps sometime nebulous) body as objective fact.

That said, lore and its community does not always match up one to one. Lore and community are ambiguous and evolve constantly. Observing and contributing to lore is also re-authoring it.

Forming Lore

Filtering and organizing all of the data on the internet is a mountain of a task, constrained by limitations of UI, common practices of the community, etc. Pockets of digital communities, as a consequence, generate internal mythology. They do this in multiple ways and with varying degrees of formality, mostly in parallel to each other.

Lore can be formed around anything, because the internet enables communities to form around any arbitrary point of connection. This makes it easy for people to form communities, in which they develop their own lexicon of memes, jargon and behaviors. The also curate their own body of knowledge and aesthetic sensibilities; their own vibe.

The development of lore is directed partially by the media platform it is forming on. So the tech influences the dynamics of lore, allowing some communities to exist for a long time while others are more ephemeral.

Lore From Viewership

A community of viewers naturally and instinctively congeal around three main activities:

1. Forming a semiosphere: Members of the “In” group develop a vocabulary of memes and shares references which forms their digital bubble. This vocabulary is not limited to concrete objects or common language. It can also be abstractions and bespoke emotions. A cat can be meme-ified, but so can the feeling of sadness or joy.
  2. Developing a collective body of knowledge: Collective knowledge is amassed through repeated interactions, sometimes over the same questions or topics. Through these interactions, the limits of the platform itself are tested (i.e., censorship practices).
  3. Participating in a collective display of nostalgia: People with shared experiences can collectively express their feeling of nostalgia–even if they did not gain these experiences together or even at the same time. Discovering that someone shares your feeling of nostalgia for something is a powerful mechanism.
1 Like

Resources

Lore for business management isn’t as new as the Web3 author making it known to us in the Cryptoverse has thought.

It may be more native to Gens Y & Z, but check this from 1993:

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t get the sense that Libby and Tiger are viewing lore in the context of it being a business tool tho. Not yet in Introduction: 9999 at least. More as something emergent from how interactions happen on the internet.

They are also not necessarily viewing it from a web3 lens either I don’t think. Just making observations from a stream where someone played Mario on tiktok.

Sorry! I was referring to the first article i knew of that made lore a part of our conversation on the Discord server.

1 Like

A list of Lore based articles:
On Lore - by Venkatesh Rao - Ribbonfarm Studio?

1 Like