Explicit Values Statement

tl;dr

We need to make a value statement as a community by Friday 2022-09-23.

It is clear we don’t have one, I have searched, asked, and witnessed behavior that makes it clear.

Without this, my commitment to Orcanauts is greatly reduced as my intrinsic motivations for participating are deeply compromised. If it seems like I am making this about me, I am. It is a conscious choice to amplify the kind of thinking and acting I have witnessed in the past week, so the community is forced to deal with the tension of individuals making that their primary frame of reference.

Situation

It has come to my attention in the past week, that we do not have an articulated Values statement. Individual Orcanaut behavior, from slightly incoherent to what I imagined those values to be, to complete misalignment with those values, was demonstrated to me in the past week.

• A Pod Lead wanting tools primarily due to his personal desire for perceived efficiency, (minor incoherence.)
  • An Orcanaut representing that he wants other organizations to be scared and afraid if they don’t implement Pods, as he wants to “extract maximum value” from them. When I suggested this be reframed as a “win-win, mutual value proposition,” not only was there vehement push-back, but other orcanauts present weakly supported his position. (Perceived as major incoherence by me.)
  • To an intrusion in our Portside meeting on Tues night by an Orcanaut who saw fit to join at the end, and then with no context, offer a completely non sequitor statement to the group. Then when questioned about why that behavior should be in any of our meetings, clearly not understanding the purpose of that one, could only say, “Why not?,” and simply ignored the conversation after that. (Simply rude, and outside the standards of “normal”, respectful behavior in civil society.)

Options

1. No change: Continue with no value statement, have a strong incoherence in the group on values, and therefore the “Hows” of implementing the execution of being on the adventure Vision.
  2. Value Statement After Friday 2022-09-23: Make value statement, but with no concern for the upcoming Q4 asset allocations from Orca-source.
  3. Value Statement Before Friday 2022-09-23: Make a value statement before the start of the Q4 allocation process by Orca-source.

Considerations

No Value Statement

Without a value statement, the community is operating on now clearly false assumptions of alignment about how we do things, and relate to each other and other communities. I think we can all agree that with major incoherence in member values we no longer function well as a community, (e.g. comfort, trust, and relatedness with each other.) and, we present a more chaotic face to other communities, because of clear misalignment from different individuals as they act as representatives of our community to others. Furthermore, I will be forced to consider how much time, thought, creativity, and energy I am willing to invest in Orca Protocol because the chance of return on my intrinsic motivations goes to almost zero.

No Value Statement before start of Q4 Asset Allocation

With a value statement after Friday 2022-09-23, we will start a new quarter of funding, but with an unclear Values statement. I have no idea if the intrinsic motivation that has primarily moved me has a strong enough basis to want to continue developing the Nav-naut vision as expressed in our Big Jam, because the potential success of Orca Protocal to me, (yes it is all about me,) seems smaller by at least two orders of magnitude, if not more.

I will commit to continuing with the community for a time, and can relate to it as a j-o-b, but then I will expect reward closer to compensation, and I will feel more like I am in an “at will” for hire situation. Which is to say, with 2 - 4 weeks notice. I will feel totally comfortable in saying I am done, and “Good Bye!”

Value Statement before Q4 Asset Allocation

By creating a Value statement before the Q4 Asset Allocations start, I have the most information by which to adjust my participation in the community, even if that is to make a clear decision that I should leave with end of Q3.

From what I have lived with most members of the community, most of the time, it is hard to believe that a Value statement would be so far off what I assumed they were, that I would make that choice, but it is possible.

I an addition, If my assumptions about community values are not too far off, it prevents the start of what I imagine will be the start of a degradation in community reputation as the tactics and framing of fear and “extracting maximum value,” are antithetical to my perceptions of the larger Ethereum community ecosystem. I can’t deny that there are clearly players in the space who operate more like this, and have been a part of Ethereum since at least the Original DAO Hack, but is that who we are as Orcanauts?

Recommendation

Create a community Values statement with same urgency that was put into creating a Governance Charter. Start as soon as Pupil’s return from vacation and finish before the start of Q4 Asset Allocation at the end of September 2022.

Further Thoughts

I know the community doesn’t need me. And, I will depart happily if I find the communities values are as different from what I assumed as some of the recent behavior indicates, if it is to be accepted and supported. I have had fun, and would wish you all the best.

TBH, for me the hardest part, would be wanting to stay waiting to see if I am in a general alignment with the real community values. Sure, Orca would be a great j-o-b, but there are so many opportunities in the Cryptoverse that are so much more interesting than a j-o-b. I don’t think I’d get past the end of the year without that values statement being manifested as a reality.

Ideally, at least for me, a Values statement would be produced before Q4 asset allocations, and it would be one I could whole heartedly stand behind. My intrinsic motivation would stay high, and we could all explore together what is emerging in how we grow a value creating community. Just because “making money” is not my primary motivation, it is not that I don’t see value in developing relationships to maximize value creation for all parties involved, such that the Cryptoverse grows in ways that not only cover the costs of living, but also enable people to return to a more well balanced lifestyle and more human ways of relating in value creation, while being in a world drowning in technology. We are the Future Primitives, creating based on the essential primitive in all human value creation, humans.

The alternative is the CBDCs come in, take over the Cryptoverse, and give us all an even worse version of their world, because the efficiencies of blockchain, which they can no longer deny, even better supports their desire for command and control of all human society everywhere.

7 Likes

Appreciate your post Aia, and sorry about some of these experiences.

I’m in favor of crafting a values statement for Orcanauts.

If there’s interest by the broader group, looking forward to any suggestions on a framework to follow and tactically how we put this together (e.g., facilitated discussion to start, etc).

Your timeline of having this in place prior to Q4 allocations seems appropriate.

4 Likes

I appreciate the thought and actionable way that you brought this up. I think this is part of the community evolutionary experience that somethings that are “softer” need to be made “harder” and more explicit. We may have a sense of what our values are, but as an organization grows there comes a time to ratify it. So I am in favor of creating this as well.

As for next steps, I think it makes sense to create a draft values statement, based on the existing community lore, that can then guide discussion. The draft can call out any gaps in lore or places were we might not explicitly agree can then we can have a discussion about the those points.

4 Likes

I am in support of an explicit value statement. We already have a north star, aims, domains, so this should be an easy extension of that.

3 Likes

I really appreciate your articulation of concerns and the thought that went into this post. Definitely agree that an explicit statement of our values would be helpful for alignment and maintaining trust.

The September timeline feels very feasible and I’m really glad this came up.

Being a values-driven organization is one of the things I hope we embody ‒ and I think this gets us a lot closer to that reality :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Being one of the ‘catalysts’ and working through some of the uncomfortable aspects of that spark, I can see no reason why the community would not benefit from such a statement. I also agree that the timeline is completely reasonable.

Your thoroughness on this is greatly appreciated and I look forward to working on this with everyone.

2 Likes

Ideas to work with or inspire based on those who are recoginzed Teal Organizations, and/or experts who help others to move in that direction.

Helios Technologies: Mission, Values, Purpose

Research From We Q (we-q.com)

The primary organizational tensions

1. To feel good within and about oneself in our place of work. To feel comfortable and safe expressing ourselves (Be Fully Myself – BFM)
  2. To be part of a group, which values and respects all individual’s full contribution. A culture which errs on the side of ‘curiosity, rather than judgement. (How We Behave – HWB)
  3. To feel useful, effective and enjoy being productive. (Getting Things Done – GTD)
  4. To do the right thing morally and ethically, for oneself, one’s family, and for the non human world, especially at a time of man made climate change (Do the Right Thing – DTR)

Lencioni: The 5 dysfunctions of a team

A very influential thinker in this field who identified 5 dysfunctions:

• Absence of trust—unwilling to be vulnerable within the group

• Fear of conflict—seeking artificial harmony over constructive passionate debate

• Lack of commitment – feigning buy-in for group decisions creates ambiguity throughout the organization

• Avoidance of accountability – ducking the responsibility to call peers on counterproductive behavior which sets low standards

• Inattention to results – focusing on personal success, status and ego before team success

Project Aristotle: Google’s search for the perfect team

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/magazine/what-google-learned-from-its-quest-to-build-the-perfect-team.html

Google’s data indicated that psychological safety, more than anything else, was critical to making a team work.

Theory U

https://www.presencing.com/theoryu

Otto Scharma’s Theory U proposes that the quality of the results that we create in any kind of social system is a function of the quality of awareness, attention, or consciousness that the participants in the system operate from.

Frederic Laloux. Reinventing Organisations

A great quote, of a quote in this book.

Margaret J. Wheatley and Myron Kellner-Rogers
began A Simpler Way, a prophetic book about what organizations could be, with these words:

There is a simpler way to organize human endeavor. It requires a new way of being in the world. It requires being in the world without fear. Being in the world with play and creativity. Seeking after what’s possible. Being willing to learn and be surprised.

The simpler way to organize human endeavor requires a belief that the world is inherently orderly. The world seeks organization. It does notneed us humans to organize it.

This simpler way summons forth what is best about us. It asks us to understand human nature differently, more optimistically. It identifies us as creative. It acknowledges that we seek after meaning. It asks us to be less serious, yet more purposeful, about our work and our lives. It does not separate play from the nature of being. …

The world we had been taught to see was alien to our humanness. We
were taught to see the world as a great machine. But then we could find
nothing human in it. Our thinking grew even stranger―we turned this
world-image back on ourselves and believed that we too were machines.

Because we could not find ourselves in the machine world we had
created in thought, we experienced the world as foreign and fearsome. …
Fear led to control. We wanted to harness and control everything. We
tried, but it did not stop the fear. Mistakes threatened us; failed plans
ruined us; relentless mechanistic forces demanded absolute submission.
There was little room for human concerns.

But the world is not a machine. It is alive, filled with life and the
history of life. … Life cannot be eradicated from the world, even though
our metaphors have tried. …

If we can be in the world in the fullness of our humanity, what are we
capable of? If we are free to play, to experiment and discover, if we are
free to fail, what might we create? What could we accomplish if we
stopped trying to structure the world into existence? What could we
accomplish if we worked with life’s natural tendency to organize? Who
could we be if we found a simpler way?

Patagonia Core Values

Build the best product

Our criteria for the best product rests on function, repairability, and, foremost, durability. Among the most direct ways we can limit ecological impacts is with goods that last for generations or can be recycled so the materials in them remain in use. Making the best product matters for saving the planet.

Cause no unnecessary harm

We know that our business activity—from lighting stores to dyeing shirts—is part of the problem. We work steadily to change our business practices and share what we’ve learned. But we recognize that this is not enough. We seek not only to do less harm, but more good.

Use business to protect nature

The challenges we face as a society require leadership. Once we identify a problem, we act. We embrace risk and act to protect and restore the stability, integrity and beauty of the web of life.

Not bound by convention

Our success—and much of the fun—lies in developing new ways to do things.

2 Likes

I will own that my behavior is by no stretch of the imagination perfect or ideal with respect to how to behave either. I just try and put some attention on it. :pray:t5::sparkling_heart::sparkles:

2 Likes

Mission, Vision and Values of Three dOrgs

From their Wikis in Notion

Bankless DAO

WGMI

Talent DAO

#Values of Evolutionary Orgs (1 for now, but I hope to find more)

OuiShare [Shared by amguguy#6405]

Our values

These five values guide our actions and decisions. Although we come from diverse backgrounds and approach topics from various perspectives, these principles are what hold us together.

Do-ocracy

We celebrate autonomy and taking initiative. Ours is a culture of participation. This means that when we want a task to be accomplished, we take responsibility for it in a positive way.

Permanent Beta

We learn by doing, we improve by making mistakes, and then starting over. Each project we undertake is an opportunity to experiment and to perfect our work. The goals of improvement and innovation are those that drive us.

Care

We believe that our outwardly positive impact is a testament to the quality of the relationships and the fulfillment of the individuals within the organization. We take pride in taking excellent care of all members of the collective, including those within our organization, in addition to the concern we show for society as well as for the planet.

Collaboration

“Alone, we can go fast, but together we can go far.” Collaboration is what allows us to contemplate projects on a large scale and to accomplish them collectively, allowing each party to make a fair contribution.

Openness

For us, openness must be present at all levels: openness of the network, the welcoming of varied contributors, open-mindedness, the acceptance of innovative ideas, the advancement of the knowledge and the functioning of the organization, in the documenting of our activities, and in the transparency of our governance.

A Curated List of Teal Organizations (Reinventing Organisations Wiki)

https://reinventingorganizationswiki.com/en/cases/

1 Like

Another example of how simple a value statement can be.

FYI, this one is corporate, I am not suggesting it be our value statement at all.

This is a really important perspective @JonSimmons-dendrons, I hope @Gaian will seriously consider incorporating it into our discussions on creating a Values statement.

Why’s tend to inform How’s and What’s, and definitely impact attitudes of relationship that can and will be felt as Orcanauts relate to others. That is exactly why I had to bring the tension of the different values being lived by different members of the community to explicit consciousness to be discussed and agreed upon for alignment.

1 Like

Had to share this quote since everyone won’t read the article.

WHY, HOW, and WHAT must all be in harmony

To build trust with your followers and customers, you need authenticity. What does that mean in practice? It means that your HOW (actions) and WHAT (results) have to be consistent with your WHY (beliefs). They all need to work together in harmony. People can detect inconsistencies, and when they do, you are perceived as inauthentic and you erode trust.

2 Likes

A significant part of my personal Why for being here:

Orca Protocol makes governance accessible by creating tools around a DAO’s most basic primitive: people.

&

POD: P(eople) O(rganized) D(ecentrally)

1 Like

From the Kronos example, I would want to change TEAM to COLLABORATION. Also, there is something about their statement of “urgency” that rubs me the wrong way. I’d throw it out in favor of something like PASSION / DRIVE /DO-OCRACY

1 Like

I was suggesting it as an example of how simple a Value statement could be.

It is not at all a recommendation of our value statement. They are a corporation, and based on their values, I personally would not choose to work for them. Been there, done that! Bought and sold the T-shirt. Glad to be out of it. TY! :smiley:

I edited the prior reply for clarity. TY! :man_bowing:t5:

Another simple example. This from another dOrg.

:two_hearts: / Our Values

To build the future of futures and re-imagine an entire industry to make it more decentralized, equitable and transparent, RADAR aims to uphold a set of values that hold both the vision and our members accountable.

These values run throughout every part of the community including our process and the futures we want to see. You can see our values below. We’re deeply proud of them, and by being a RADAR member, you’re agreeing to uphold and represent these values in the world.

Future-Forward

We explore, challenge and architect the futures we want ourselves and culture to move toward.

Curiosity-Fueled

We’re generous, dynamic and exploratory in our processes, and are always discovering.

Community-Led

Community-Owned

We put the future in the hands of our community full of brilliant and passionate individuals, using the $SIGNAL token for collective decision making.

Our process is built on abundance, not extraction. We believe that trend shapers and makers should own and benefit from the futures they build.

Impact-Driven

We believe in calls to adventure that have real world impact, not that end in definitive answers sat on a shelf.

Access-Focused

We’re relentlessly inclusive and optimistic. We believe in building a future that’s accessible and tangible for everyone.

Cognitively-Diverse

We prioritize creating a multifaceted space for diverse world-views, opinions, and interests, and we encourage genuine and healthy disagreements to create a strong, resilient and anti-fragile community.

1 Like

Love these examples FYI. Thanks for sharing.

For a v1, I’d be in favor of going for a very simple format like the Kronos one and maybe work towards more creative-looking ones (like the Helios one) in a later version.

1 Like