We need to make a value statement as a community by Friday 2022-09-23.
It is clear we don’t have one, I have searched, asked, and witnessed behavior that makes it clear.
Without this, my commitment to Orcanauts is greatly reduced as my intrinsic motivations for participating are deeply compromised. If it seems like I am making this about me, I am. It is a conscious choice to amplify the kind of thinking and acting I have witnessed in the past week, so the community is forced to deal with the tension of individuals making that their primary frame of reference.
It has come to my attention in the past week, that we do not have an articulated Values statement. Individual Orcanaut behavior, from slightly incoherent to what I imagined those values to be, to complete misalignment with those values, was demonstrated to me in the past week.
- A Pod Lead wanting tools primarily due to his personal desire for perceived efficiency, (minor incoherence.)
- An Orcanaut representing that he wants other organizations to be scared and afraid if they don’t implement Pods, as he wants to “extract maximum value” from them. When I suggested this be reframed as a “win-win, mutual value proposition,” not only was there vehement push-back, but other orcanauts present weakly supported his position. (Perceived as major incoherence by me.)
- To an intrusion in our Portside meeting on Tues night by an Orcanaut who saw fit to join at the end, and then with no context, offer a completely non sequitor statement to the group. Then when questioned about why that behavior should be in any of our meetings, clearly not understanding the purpose of that one, could only say, “Why not?,” and simply ignored the conversation after that. (Simply rude, and outside the standards of “normal”, respectful behavior in civil society.)
- No change: Continue with no value statement, have a strong incoherence in the group on values, and therefore the “Hows” of implementing the execution of being on the adventure Vision.
- Value Statement After Friday 2022-09-23: Make value statement, but with no concern for the upcoming Q4 asset allocations from Orca-source.
- Value Statement Before Friday 2022-09-23: Make a value statement before the start of the Q4 allocation process by Orca-source.
Without a value statement, the community is operating on now clearly false assumptions of alignment about how we do things, and relate to each other and other communities. I think we can all agree that with major incoherence in member values we no longer function well as a community, (e.g. comfort, trust, and relatedness with each other.) and, we present a more chaotic face to other communities, because of clear misalignment from different individuals as they act as representatives of our community to others. Furthermore, I will be forced to consider how much time, thought, creativity, and energy I am willing to invest in Orca Protocol because the chance of return on my intrinsic motivations goes to almost zero.
With a value statement after Friday 2022-09-23, we will start a new quarter of funding, but with an unclear Values statement. I have no idea if the intrinsic motivation that has primarily moved me has a strong enough basis to want to continue developing the Nav-naut vision as expressed in our Big Jam, because the potential success of Orca Protocal to me, (yes it is all about me,) seems smaller by at least two orders of magnitude, if not more.
I will commit to continuing with the community for a time, and can relate to it as a j-o-b, but then I will expect reward closer to compensation, and I will feel more like I am in an “at will” for hire situation. Which is to say, with 2 - 4 weeks notice. I will feel totally comfortable in saying I am done, and “Good Bye!”
By creating a Value statement before the Q4 Asset Allocations start, I have the most information by which to adjust my participation in the community, even if that is to make a clear decision that I should leave with end of Q3.
From what I have lived with most members of the community, most of the time, it is hard to believe that a Value statement would be so far off what I assumed they were, that I would make that choice, but it is possible.
I an addition, If my assumptions about community values are not too far off, it prevents the start of what I imagine will be the start of a degradation in community reputation as the tactics and framing of fear and “extracting maximum value,” are antithetical to my perceptions of the larger Ethereum community ecosystem. I can’t deny that there are clearly players in the space who operate more like this, and have been a part of Ethereum since at least the Original DAO Hack, but is that who we are as Orcanauts?
Create a community Values statement with same urgency that was put into creating a Governance Charter. Start as soon as Pupil’s return from vacation and finish before the start of Q4 Asset Allocation at the end of September 2022.
I know the community doesn’t need me. And, I will depart happily if I find the communities values are as different from what I assumed as some of the recent behavior indicates, if it is to be accepted and supported. I have had fun, and would wish you all the best.
TBH, for me the hardest part, would be wanting to stay waiting to see if I am in a general alignment with the real community values. Sure, Orca would be a great j-o-b, but there are so many opportunities in the Cryptoverse that are so much more interesting than a j-o-b. I don’t think I’d get past the end of the year without that values statement being manifested as a reality.
Ideally, at least for me, a Values statement would be produced before Q4 asset allocations, and it would be one I could whole heartedly stand behind. My intrinsic motivation would stay high, and we could all explore together what is emerging in how we grow a value creating community. Just because “making money” is not my primary motivation, it is not that I don’t see value in developing relationships to maximize value creation for all parties involved, such that the Cryptoverse grows in ways that not only cover the costs of living, but also enable people to return to a more well balanced lifestyle and more human ways of relating in value creation, while being in a world drowning in technology. We are the Future Primitives, creating based on the essential primitive in all human value creation, humans.
The alternative is the CBDCs come in, take over the Cryptoverse, and give us all an even worse version of their world, because the efficiencies of blockchain, which they can no longer deny, even better supports their desire for command and control of all human society everywhere.