Clarifying Purpose

Background

In last week’s community call, we discussed the need for clarity around purpose and role of Orcanauts. To begin sense-making around this, everyone on the call shared their thoughts on this question:

Given the discussions we’ve been having, what do you think the purpose of Orcanauts should be at this moment in time (acknowledging that this can change as we grow)?

Notes and recording from the call here:

Purpose Statements

Clear purpose statements help us to articulate the role of Orcanauts and Sonar Labs in furthering the aim and mission of Orca.

Aim and Mission

The goal of Orca is to improve the way DAOs organize by stewarding and building the technical and social layers that enable the pod model.

What is the purpose of Orcanauts?

Below I’ve aggregated some of the thoughts shared on the Community Call. The discussion was very rich, so if I’ve missed any, please add them here!

Telling the story of Orca Protocol

“Orcanauts are here to tell the story of Orca Protocol through the development of governance partnerships in orientation, code and content.”

shared by @PostArchitekt

“We are here to tell the story of Orca Protocol through the development of governance, orientation, partnerships, code, and content.”

shared by @PostArchitekt

“Orcanauts are here to tell the story of Orca Protocol. Sonar Labs is here to create the protocol and narratives.”

shared by @chase (in response to @PostArchitekt’s statement)

Pioneers of the pod model and self-managing orgs

“Orcanauts are the pioneers of the pod model, acting as a self-managing organization and helping other organizations implement self-management.”

shared by @John_Sterlacci

“Sonar Labs is the mission control to Orcanauts’ space station.”

shared by @John_Sterlacci

“I second what @John_Sterlacci shared and I think it comes down to two foundational parts: technical and social implementations. Orcanauts have already made headway on some of the social implementation pieces.”

shared by @julz

De-escalation of Sonar Labs

“I see this as the gradual de-escalation of Sonar Labs as the principle organization in the Orca Network. Over time, Orcanauts will take on more domains and responsibilities from Sonar Labs.”

shared by @julz

Bringing self-management capabilities to the Orca ecosystem

"Orca is enabling DAOs to achieve their full potential through pods. Having both a traditional company and a self-managing organization can provide benefits in our ability to use the best of both structures. Big picture, purpose of the Orcanauts is to bring the self-managing capabilities to help push further toward Orca’s goals.

Orcanauts can start to take on more responsibilities as we build our skills and capabilities. But I don’t think Orcanauts will ultimately run everything (as in Sonar Labs will not cease to exist), I think there’s going to be a role for both organizations in the future as both Sonar Labs and Orcanauts evolve."

shared by @Appt_Pupil

A note on evolutionary purpose

“Specifically as it pertains to nav-naut, there’s the work we’re doing now and the work we’ll be doing later as we’re more public. As we become more public facing, I see our role as something that becomes more oriented toward training, recruiting and onboarding users, contributors, and partners.”

shared by @JonSimmons-dendrons

Proposed Next Steps

1. Discuss purpose statements @ Tea Time call on 2022-04-19T13:00:00Z

2. Discuss gov-naut aims and domains @ Gov-naut Weekly Sync call on 2022-04-21T21:00:00Z

3. Solidify purpose statements + aims and domains of pods (not including pods that require further aims and domains discussion) @ Community Call on 2022-04-22T15:00:00Z

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this summary Chase! Really appreciated this convo and feel very grounded in general alignment here.

2 Likes

From the Figma:

Purpose Statements
Orcanauts + Sonar Labs
We want to improve the way DAOs organize by stewarding and building the technical and social layers that enable the pod model.

Sonar Labs is the mission control to Orcanauts’ space station.

Sonar Labs builds Orca Protocol.

Orcanauts support DAOs using pods.

The first statement needs to be more simple and direct.
“We improve DAO organization by stewarding and building the technical and social layers that enable the pod model.”

I stated it before, and I think it bears repeating, “Space Station” is a mismatched metaphor.

I believe Pupil already brought up the suggestion of using a more nautical languaging. “Mission Control” and “Bathysphere”. Forcing people to learn something new is not a bad thing.

Other than that, I think it is great!

Thanks again for your facilitation @chase.
:pray:t5::sparkling_heart::sparkles:

2 Likes

“Bathysphere” has the added benefit of literally meaning “deep sphere”, which strongly suggests the notion of pods and depth that come up in a lot of work naturally. As the original creator of the bathysphere knew, a sphere is the best possible shape for resisting high pressure, which could easily be tied to the notion of dealing with all the pressures people face in self-organizing.

Sam Spurlin would delight in pointing out that the Bathysphere was initially launched by a ship called the “Ready”! :slight_smile:

3 Likes